Friday, January 22, 2016

Roe v Wade: A sad day in history

Today, 43 years ago, a landmark decision was made. Seven Supreme Court justices (out of nine) declared that it was a privacy right under the Due Process Clause (14th amendment) for a women to decide to have an abortion. This right had to be balanced between the states regulating abortion and a women's health and the potential of protecting life.

I grew up with Roe v Wade and learned about it in school. It was a part of my life but it wasn't until recently that it really dawned on me how ridiculous it is and yes, it infuriates me beyond belief. You see, I am no longer swayed by public thought but am fueled by my faith and even in what I consider the dark years of my life, the idea that abortion was murder quietly percolated but unfortunately, too late for me to save a life over 15 years ago. In some ways, two lives would have been saved. That of my unborn child and my own that was dragged through dark and torturous years until I finally saw the light and made a change.

The light was God's healing and the courage to say, I had an abortion and I am so sorry. And I finally found the courage to say it out loud to the priest at reconciliation and that time I could barely get the words out as I sobbed so heavily. I still cry when I talk or write about it. It breaks my heart that I was so stupid and made such a tremendous mistake because I was swayed by others. I was in the darkest, scariest time of my life and was misled by those who felt it was my right and better for me and the child if I abort. After all, it wasn't a child yet anyhow. Just a blob of cells. How crazy is that? And yes, I call myself stupid but I am not. I am well educated and that just further supports my belief that what is politically correct and acceptable is NOT always acceptable and misinformation can sink into anyone's mind.

Yes, I believe Roe v Wade should be overturned. Abortion ruins relationships. Abortion devastates life. If you really care about women's rights, tell them the truth that making that decision will not bring happiness and joy but can lead to emotional and physical pain and suffering that can last a lifetime. Is that what you want for your daughter? Not me. I will no longer stand idly by supporting pro-choice because I feel I have to since I had an abortion. I will stand up and tell the world, one person at a time, I am pro-life. Do NOT abort. Choose life. Choose to save a child's life and to save your own life. Protect life at all stages.

Dear God,

I am so sorry for choosing to abort. I am heartbroken that I failed to do good and that I sinned against you. Use me and my story to do good. Please let me help bring an end to abortion and healing to other post-abortive moms. May be dark past do your good today. 

In Jesus' name I pray.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment